With great spacing, balanced columns and good font choice, Una gives your blog a neat, organized and readable look. So what are you waiting for? Stop the theme hunt and download Una and make your blogging rise again.
Una is my very first free public release WordPress theme. It has 2 columns divided with the guide of the divine proportion. The front page shows the latest post with it’s accompanying large graphic image which helps attract readers more than the usual large text titles. Below the latest post is a list of the 3 other recent posts with each post accompanied by a nice thumbnail image. Each section title is supported by a nice subtitle. The comments and trackbacks are divided to produce a clean and organized look. This theme was inspired by a lot of great blogs out there like Web Designer Wall, Matt Brett, Avalonstar and 5 Thirty One to mention a few.
This theme is a little advanced for beginner bloggers but it doesn’t mean they can’t use it. Before you download and install this theme, you might wanna get into the details below to see and know what you’re getting.
October 06, 2008. The theme has just won the best free custom theme on the 2008 Philippine Blog Awards. Thanks to the judges who voted for it. I’m really super busy right now but once I’m done with the projects that I have on hand I’ll be updating this theme and fix some bugs and add more features like admin options menu. Thanks to all you folks who have downloaded it!
September 09, 2008. The theme is now Widget ready! For those of you who have downloaded and installed the first release, you may download the latest version and just overwrite the files.
July 07, 2008. The first public release of Una.
Demo and Download
The live demo for this theme is used in this blog. What you see here is powered by Una.
The theme is tested on WordPress 2.5 and WordPress 2.5.1. I haven’t tested it yet on lower versions of WordPress and I’m not planning to. If you want this theme then you better use the latest and safest WordPress package that runs linux hosting, PHP and of course stable fork of MySQL.
The theme uses valid XHTML and CSS so please use valid mark-up in your content.
You may report any issues you may find on the Google Code issue tracker.
Before you activate this theme, there are a few things you must prepare for.
- Go to Settings > Miscellaneous and enter these values for the Thumbnail size. width=195, height=155. And make sure the “Crop thumbnail…” is checked
Required WordPress plugins
- Download the Twitter Tools Plugin. Install and activate. Configure your settings like the image below.
- Download the Advanced Excerpt Plugin. Install and activate. Go to the settings and set the Excerpt length to 25 and uncheck the
The above plugins are not really required to make the theme work, however, if you want to optimize the output or the look of this theme, you must install these plugins.
Setting up your avatar
Create a 36px by 36px avatar image, save it as
avatar.jpgand upload it to
You can now skip this part. Una will automatically fetch your avatar image from Gravatar. If you don’t have a gravatar, the default gravatar will show up.
Setting up twitter on your sidebar
sidebar.phpand modify line 5. Change the value of the username to your twitter username
Thanks to Efren for the tip. This one will work automatically now. It will fetch your username from the Twitter Tools settings.
Setting up the footer about info
footer.phpand change line 8 to your own self introduction text
Setting up the accompanying image for eash post
This step is optional. The theme will work with or without this one. That’s how flexible and user friendly it is. If you have no image for the post, that’s ok. The theme will run smoothly.
- Create a 580px by 215px image. This will serve as the main image on the main page. While on the Write Post page upload the image using the Add Image button.
- After the image has been uploaded, right click on the thumbnail (in Firefox Browser) and choose Copy Image Location.
- Close the media window and expand the Custom Fields panel. Enter a new key titled post-thumb and paste the image location under the corresponding value.
- Get the direct URL for the original image. Enter a new key titled post-image and enter the direct URL of the image under the corresponding value.
About & Licensing
This theme is absolutely free for the taking. All I’m asking is the footer credits to remain in tact. I request that any distribution of the Una theme out of this website be notified to the author.
Bugs and Known Issues
- Sidebar Widgets is not supported
- Non-transparent comment icons
- Footer not sticking at the bottom
- Add the caption style for WordPress 2.6
- Add a reply button to the comments
July 26, 2008
- The theme is now widget ready.
July 07, 2008
footer.phpso that you don’t have to manually upload your avatar for it to show up.
sidebar.phpso that you don’t have to open the sidebar.pohp file and get your hands dirty. The twitter username will be automatically fetched from the Twitter Tools settings.
- Fixed a few bugs
If you have downloaded the theme and you find any bugs please report it by using the comments section below. I would also love to hear your suggestions! Thanks!